Programming books classics that programmers should read
These are the books which can change your career, can make you better programmer. These books are more about a way of thinking, organizing, and becoming better at the craft of software engineering. They won’t make you better at any particular programming language but they will help you to become a better Programmer.
1. Code Complete 2 – Steve McConnell
Steve McConnell’s Code Complete is absolutely essential to every software developer. The lessons contained in Code Complete are based on solid, time-tested principles. The time spent reading Code Complete is time spent bettering your career as a developer.
2. Advanced Linux Programming – CodeSourcery LLC , Mark L. Mitchell, Alex Samuel, Jeffrey Oldham
Advanced Linux Programming is divided into two parts. The first covers generic UNIX system services, but with a particular eye towards Linux specific information. This portion of the book will be of use even to advanced programmers who have worked with other Linux systems since it will cover Linux specific details and differences. For programmers without UNIX experience, it will be even more valuable. The second section covers material that is entirely Linux specific. These are truly advanced topics, and are the techniques that the gurus use to build great applications. While this book will focus mostly on the Application Programming Interface (API) provided by the Linux kernel and the C library, a preliminary introduction to the development tools available will allow all who purchase the book to make immediate use of Linux.
3. The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition (2nd Edition)
I have read it as part of my PhD, since it’s part of the classical books of software engineering. Yet the book tackles very important issues not only about management but how people interact during software development. I’ve recognised myself in many situations described by the author (even that I’m not part of a software development team).
One might wonder, as I did, how many of the concepts explained by the author apply to current technology of the 21st century, but the author tackles that in the last chapters. However, almost everything applies, because the book focus are the general lessons that never get outdated
4. C# Yellow Book – Rob Miles
It is a very useful book to start with C# language and object-oriented programming. The book explains the theory and concepts in a meaningful and fun way while offers tips for best practices. I highly recommend it, it’s a must read.
5. Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
This book makes some very good points, sometimes taking them to extreme (“Never write functions longer than 15 lines! Never write functions with more than three arguments!”). Some of these points were quite new and useful for me – YMMV. It’s too Java-specific in a few places, and reading the last refactoring chapter on a kindle was quite a challenge, but otherwise it was well worth a read. At least I got a clear picture of how I want to refactor a big piece of my current project after reading this.
6. Don’t Make Me Think: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability
This book is great for mobile and web design and development principles. I recommend this book to beginners and seasoned individuals. I still read this book just to refresh my memory.
7. Core HTML5 Canvas: Graphics, Animation, and Game Development (Core Series) –David Geary
Core HTML5 Canvas: Graphics, Animation, and Game Development is a terrific guide to building HTML5 games using the Canvas object… It is a beautifully-presented guide to drawing using the Canvas object, with a focus on game development.
8. C++ GUI Programming With Qt 3 – Jasmin Blanchette vĂ Mark Summerfield
This book provides all the information needed to become a professional Qt developer. The book also covers cross platform GUI programming–programmers can be working on Windows, Linux, or Mac and the book will work for them. This is useful for commercial companies that use Qt, and for companies that are evaluating Qt. It will also be valuable to the vast number of open source developers who already use Qt since no other book of comparable quality or comprehensiveness is available. This book teaches Qt’s idioms and how to use Qt to best advantage.
9. JavaScript: The Good Parts – Douglas Crockford
This is a must-read book if you use Javascript seriously. When I put the book down, I’d learned and understood a few critical ideas about using Javascript that are changing the way I program. In particular, I found the section related to object creation (prototypal inheritance, implications for using the new keywords, etc.) I also greatly enjoyed the appendices — I eat up lists like the awful and bad parts of Javascript, and the introduction to JSLint is going to be very fruitful. Not everything in the book was new to me, but what was more than justified reading this once and then reading it again.
10. The Design of Everyday Things – Donald A Norman
Excellent piece of non-fiction. This book is a prescribed textbook for a course on computer interface design that I’m doing. Once I really started reading it, I almost couldn’t put it down – it was so interesting that it almost read like fiction – none of the dry dust usually found in conventional textbooks. Very well and humorously presented, and a must for engineers, designers, manufacturers and inventors everywhere!
interviewquiz.net
[…] way to learn programming in general and Visual Basic in particular. That’s why you need those books as references. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced developer. Besides, With these books you gain the […]