Top 10 Websites For Learning Programming
Today, we will show you 10 educational websites with instant and interactive lessons that teach you programming languages like HTML, CSS, PHP, Ruby and even iOS. Pick up tips, screencasts and even best practices from industry professionals. That way, you can discover what you like and don’t like before investing money into a certain coding language or set of courses.
Codecademy is a good place to familiarize yourself with basic HTML, JavaScript, Python, and several other languages and frameworks. The website and interface are functional and easy to use. The material can be a bit dry and uninspired — you’re asked to, say, make a JavaScript object using literal notation, but the exercise isn’t part of a larger project. However, recent project-oriented additions have improved the situation.
2.Thinkful
Thinkful offers a variety of programming courses that I find appealing because they’re self-paced. The problem with more demanding courses like Udacity’s Nanodegrees or Bloc.io is that there’s a minimum weekly time commitment, which isn’t always possible if you’re working and have a life away from the screen. At the same time, I had issues with Thinkful, with its online mentors, its cost structure, and a website (since improved) that seemed to be designed to make curriculum information difficult to view.
Online mentors sound good in theory, but in practice don’t offer as much value as I hoped. They often have to look things up, which argues for researching the topic on your own. And $500 per month for three months proved to be unnecessary for the Python/Flask course I took. I breezed through the first sections and finished in two months. Yet, after all was said and done — and despite the fact that the Python curriculum was available more or less for free elsewhere — I felt that Thinkful’s Python course gave me a solid foundation with the Flask framework. I may give Thinkful another chance.
3.Coursera
Coursera offers online courses that go far beyond programming, covering topics like social sciences, economics, and medicine. The Coursera website isn’t designed as well as some of its competitors, but if you find a course that appeals to you, that isn’t so much of an issue. I took “An Introduction to Interactive Programming in Python” and found it to be effective and well done.
4.Udacity
I joined Udacity before it began charging, and it has a lot to recommend it. Its Intro to Computer Science course offered an interesting view into what it takes to build a search engine in Python. And the site covers a variety of advanced topics in addition to courses for beginners. Lately, Udacity has become even better with the addition of Nanodegrees, certificate-oriented courses that focus on skills relevant to developers and companies, like Front-End Developer and Data Analyst. These cost money, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. Paying for a course offers a strong incentive to finish it.
Code School achieves perhaps the best balance between video lessons and exercises. It’s a bit more demanding than Codecademy, but it’s also more engaging and more visually appealing. The JavaScript track videos by instructor Jason Millhouse are particularly well done. Code School was the first online educational resource compelling enough for me to pay ($29/month). In January, it was acquired by online training company Pluralsight, which offers a variety of well-done videos about programming and other subjects.
CheckiO’s Empire Of Code combines entertainment and education, as do some other services such as CodeCombat. Empire of Code is a real-time strategy game, like Blizzard’s StarCraft, that’s controlled by user-created code. The game is in closed beta and is still under development, but it looks promising so far.
Treehouse is often compared with Codecademy. Both cater to beginners, but I find Treehouse’s design is more appealing. Its content also differs somewhat. The basic plan is $25/month.
There are a lot of good books out there to learn how to program. But Learn Python The Hard Way is one of the better ones because it’s demanding. Author Zed Shaw has a gift for teaching.
Online learning pioneer Khan Academy used to be unappealing to look at. But a redesign commenced in 2013, and today the website looks more professional. While I don’t care much for the badges or social aspects of the site, I find the programming content to be well done. And there’s lots of great educational content on other subjects.
10.Dash
General Assembly made a name for itself with on-campus classes. But its free online Web technology tutorial, Dash, is rather nicely done. I prefer it to Codecademy’s. It’s a good place to start if you’re interested in learning HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
I have given the top 10 Websites For Learning Programming. Looking forward to hearing from you if you have any other questions or require any further assistance. Please feel free to mail us at ntp.interview@gmail.com if you have questions or comments. Visit site at http://www.interviewquiz.net/ for updates and more information.
No comments:
Post a Comment